Skip to main content

Road to a Complete NES & SNES Game Collection...

So I've decided to make the exceptionally foolish decision to start two collections. Not only do I want to complete a NTSC Nintendo NES set (including a copy of Stadium Events & NWC), but also a complete NTSC Super Nintendo set. Crazy right? Well, I can be a crazy person. Why would you want to do such a thing? You might ask. Especially during such a tumultuous time in the retro gaming community, considering the rapidly fluctuating prices. Why not just be happy with flash carts or emulation? Perhaps Retro Pi and call it a day. I this I say nah, full collection for my top two consoles all the way.  Why not?

 As a boy, I've always dreamed of having most if not all SNES & NES games possible in a large game room. I feel I owe it to myself to finally come through on this dream, no matter how obnoxious and silly. Also to be frank, I sincerely love the hunt of it all -- going out in the wild and hunting down games on the cheap, then adding them to my personal collection. Meeting other collectors make it fun all the more. Even in 2019 people are out there grinding, going to conventions & garage sales/flea markets, grinding away at their checklists, and finding deals. And I must say it's insanely fun if you don't allow yourself to get completely lost to the madness of the hunt. In this sense, I can also use this blog to chronicle that journey, not only to myself, but also to any one else interested in collecting.

 ---

 A better question I've found myself asking before I begin this hunt in earnest -- What is my plan of attack?  I honestly feel everyone should ask themselves this very question before they begin, so as to always have an overarching goal in mind as they move forward. In my case, my goal is simple: A full collection of NTSC NES & SNES games. I will for sure stop here, seeing as I don't really care to seriously collect for any other system. While I do love the Sega Master System & Genesis, Dreamcast, Sony Playstation 1 & 2 and other systems, I'm perfectly fine with just playing on flash carts, as well as ODEs (Optical Disk Emulator) as solutions. Also more recently with the advent of the MiSTer Gaming Platform, I've been able to finally consolidate almost every obscure system (older than PS1) into one neat package, saving me the trouble of collecting extra systems and never getting around to using them in any practical way. However, I might dive into Famicom Disk System and it's games, but it's more so out of curiosity (and secret love for floppy disks) than anything else. 

As far as paying for & funding these collections, I am going to go the route of buying & flipping items (not limited to video games) from garage sales, pawn shops, and flea markets to serve as the expense on this crazy endeavor. While I do work a legit 9 to 5 and can pay for these games out of pocket, I'd rather not dig into my real funds at all. Hmmm.  Maybe for Stadium Events perhaps. Maybe.  I'll make use of eBay as well in my hunt.  People are foolish to think that they can go about collecting a full set of games without using eBay and other online retailers to complete it.

Bringing it back to the collections, for the NES I'll start with finishing the "Black Box" set of 30 games. For the SNES, I'll go about getting every single game that features Mario & Luigi. Thankfully, over the years (and more so recent months), I do have some good headway on both of these starter sets.  Here's the current set of NES games I have:


1 - Balloon Fight
2 - Excitebike
3 - Donkey Kong Jr.
4 - Golf
5 - Gyromite
6 - Hogan's Alley
7 - Ice Climbers
8 - Kung Fu
9 - Mach Rider
10 - Mario Bros.
11 - Pinball
12 - Pro Wrestling
13 - Super Mario Bros.
14 - Urban Champion
15 - Wrecking Crew

The games in bold are games I'll be looking to replace due to cosmetic & label damage.

And the list of what remains:

1 - 10-Yard Fight
2 - Baseball
3 - Clu Clu Land
4 - Donkey Kong
5 - Donkey Kong 3
6 - Donkey Kong Jr. Math
7 - Duck Hunt
8 - Gumshoe
9 - Popeye
10 - Slalom
11 - Soccer
12 - Stack-Up
13 - Tennis
14 - Volleyball
15 - Wild Gunman

The games in bold are what I'll be going after first if at all possible.

This makes 15 out of the 30 Black Box games that are out there for me to nab.  I figure that my most difficult (or at least annoying) finds will be Stack-Up & Donkey Kong Jr. Math, but that is due to their rarity more so than anything.  I've honestly never seen either game in the wild before ever.  I'm ready to pay the price when the time comes. Here's the set of games that I have for SNES that features Mario:


And the list of what remains:

1 - Mario is Missing!
2 - Mario's Early Years! Fun With Letters
3 - Mario's Early Years! Fun With Numbers
4 - Mario's Early Years! Preschool Fun
5 - Mario's Time Machine
6 - Super Mario All-Stars & Super Mario World

All of these SNES games will be easy to obtain without much of an issue, which is very good for my wallet.  I'm personally very interested in Mario's Time Machine being a game that I always saw in magazines, but never exactly gave a shot at.

Now is a very exciting time as a collector for NES & SNES.  The prices for the NES games have come down to reasonable levels, while SNES has remained steady for most of it's offerings.  Wish me luck!

Current Mood: psyched
Current Music: Logic - I Want It All

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of GameStop

So this is finally it.  We are witnessing the demise of the often beloved (or despised, depending on the person you talk to) company GameStop in real time.  And what a wild ride it has been so far.  The latest salvo of information comes from the now very beloved former GameStop manager, turned YouTuber and unapologetic GameStop-information leaker Cody (aka @CAMELOT331 ): Here it is. The shocking news you've been waiting for. You will not believe what is happening next. It truly is Game over. https://t.co/WY6WmWWa55 — CAMELOT331 (@CAMELOT331) September 4, 2019 The video proceeds to lay out in detail the final of GameStop's multi-tiered Phase program that the company is implementing in order to attempt to resuscitate it's failing business model.  This is known as " Phase 3 ," a conclusive shuttering of 2400 stores (down from 4,400~) across the nation in order to consolidate down expenses and start anew with a fresh vision after Q4 concludes.  This will al

A Random Reintroduction

Eyy, welcome to my humble blog! I've decided to once again try my hand at blogging (my original blog on hunting a FFXI relic weapon: https://shokox.livejournal.com), and see how far I can go with it/ A bit older and wiser about how I present myself, but still a child at heart. I figuring I'll use this blog to talk about my passion -- retro video games, and retro tech! It'll also double as an outlet for polishing up my writing skills, however random and interesting they can be. So to whoever decides to spend the 2-3 minutes to read this, welcome!